Scuba Trip 2017: Micronesia – Palau + Truk!
Micronesia, including Palau, Truk & Yap, covers roughly 3 million square miles. Our 2-island hopper destinations are Palau and Truk. Palau itself is composed of about 250 mostly-uninhabited yet richly forested islands, many with dazzling white sand beaches. Truk (Chuuk) consists of 11 main islands, plus 87 smaller ones within the lagoon & on the fringing coral reef. It is very protected, which is what made it an ideal setting for the Japanese navy in WWII.
Palau: Marine life heaven
Walls cloaked with luxurious multi-hued corals and immense sea fans channels, tunnels, holes, caves and caverns and sensational drift dives currents which attract sharks, rays and huge schools of jacks and barracudas manta rays and eagle rays.
The Rock Islands: Coral gardens galore with countless drop-offs, caves, swim-throughs, blue holes, marine lakes and even wartime wrecks.
Blue Holes: The 4 underwater holes merge into one enormous cavern filled with sparkling clear water and remarkably unusual fish and critters.
Blue Corner: Head-spinning with currents and upwellings. Divers hook onto the wall and wait for the show by swirling hose-eye jacks, giant trevally, grey reef sharks, mantas and more black snappers.
Truk Lagoon: wreck diving heaven
An entire WWII Japanese fleet scuttled by the US in 1944 with more than 42 wrecks at shallow depths.The wreck diving here is amongst the most stirring experiences a diver can have, and Truk offers some great reef diving, particularly on the outer walls of the lagoon, with drop-offs and passes and tons of fish life in crystal clear waters.
The San Francisco Maru freighter: Very deep dive. With the remains of Toyota and Isuzu trucks, three Japanese light tanks, a high velocity anti-aircraft gun and a staff car.
The Sankisan Maru freighter: Much easier dive. Sitting fully upright on a slope, covered with beautiful corals, oysters, sea squirts, tube sponges and lots of dazzling damselfish.
The Fujikawa Maru: At only 15 meters below the surface, one of the most popular wreck dives. Impressive wreck covered with sea fans and soft corals, and provides a home to a number of large Napoleon Wrasse, as well as being a cleaning station. Swimming into the hull, and down a couple of decks you’ll find four Japanese fighters.
The 2017 trip will take place from Aug 27th – Sept 10th, spanning the Labor Day weekend. Accommodations will be at West Plaza Hotel in Palau and Blue Lagoon Dive Resort in Truk.
Round way airfare from Chicago to Palau.
- 7 nights at West Plaza Hotels By the sea 7 nights (8/28 to 9/3)
- 5 days of 2 tank boat diving with Sam’s Tours (8/29 to 9/2)
- Jellyfish Lake snorkeling after one of the 2 tank dive days 2 night/beach dives
- Complimentary 3rd tank dive at Chandelier Cave
- Unlimited diving at Sam’s Macro Wall
- Free Nitrox up to 32% (with proof of certification)
- Lunch and refreshments each dive day (breakfast and dinner not included)
- All Permit fees and departure tax in Palau included.
- 5 nights at Blue Lagoon Resort (9/4 to 9/9)
- 4 days of 2 tank dives with Blue Lagoon Dive Shop
- Food not included
|Regular rates: (2016/02/01– 2017/06/15)|
Important Information: 1500.00 nonrefundable deposit due to hold the trip; down payment can be made in store or over the phone
- Food: breakfast and dinner in Palau are not included. Optional daily breakfast is $10/day. Food in truk is not included (~$50/day).
- Additional 3rd afternoon dive in Truk ($60 per day)